Guidelines for Reading in Church
- Relax and pray before reading.
- Make sure to read slowly and clearly.
- Look up a few times during the reading of the Epistle. The best time is after the end of each paragraph, but other times are also good.
- Slow down at a comma and pause briefly at a period.
- Make sure you inflect your voice if there is a question mark at the end of the sentence. ‘Isn’t that right?’ (Voice goes up slightly at the end.)
- When practicing at home stand 20 feet from the person who is listening to you because it is very important to project when you are reading in a Church.
- If you do not know what a word means look it up in a dictionary.
- If you are not sure how to pronounce a word, look at the pronunciation guide in a dictionary or ask someone.
- Do not worry about making a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. Stay call and keep reading.
- Keep re-reading until you feel comfortable.